Thursday, May 14, 2009

ARCH 1201 - Project Three Introduction

Introduction

Now you are ready to design a building, that is, a formal composition occupied by human activities. In this project you will design a dealer’s art gallery that specializes in contemporary and experimental art. Many of the artists exhibited are relatively young and are working on the margin or outside the art mainstream. Since it is a commercial gallery, selling the displayed works is important. In other words, it is a shop. However, the gallery sees its role as also encouraging exploration and experimentation within the contemporary arts. As such, it serves a critical and cultural purpose in Sydney and Australia. The dealer chooses to work and live in one place; therefore, part of the gallery is also the dealer’s house.

Your project is to capture, in architectural terms, the spirit of the dealer’s intention. The overall building, as well as the main rooms, are to celebrate and enhance the ideas and qualities of the particular art that the gallery houses. The main interior spaces, and the exterior courtyard at the back of the site, are to serve as areas for displaying and experiencing works of art. Service spaces are also required for administrative, storage and workshop purposes. A small apartment for the gallery owner is to be provided.

Interested Artist : Ernie Gerzabek


752 Magic toybox
43x43x43cm / 17x17x17in cube, coloured recycled wood assembly on board
$1200 to $2000 price range


785 Floriade
76x102cm / 30x40in, acrylic / canvas, self-framed
$600 to $900 price range


682 Desert moods
107x137cm / 42x54in
, acrylic / canvas, self-framed
$1200 to $2000 price range


589 Waterside shift 3
61x91cm / 24x36in, acrylic on canvas, self-framed

$500 to $800 price range

Background

I am a professional landscape painter and abstract artist and sculptor. I was born in Budapest, Hungary and immigrated to Australia in 1958. I started painting in 1970 while practising as a Chartered Architect. Following my retirement from Architecture in 1997 I commenced painting full time.

I pride himself on being a self-taught artist as I do not follow in the footsteps of any teacher or master. I have a very broad range of original approaches, thus cannot be pigeonholed into a single ‘style’.

Inspiration and artistic Influences

My main inspiration is Nature, the unique landscapes of Australia, the United States and Canada:- the unspoilt countryside, wilderness areas, deserts, wetlands and seashores.

As to artists who most influenced me, I must admit I admire Vincent Van Gogh’s use of colour and his emotional intensity. I love Paul Klee’s sensitivity and deep insight into our inner beings. I marvel at Kandinsky’s exuberance and sense of composition. I am amazed at Picasso’s inventiveness and broad range of interests.

As for Australian artists, I love John Olsen’s imaginative expression and playfulness, Fred Williams’ unique ability to extract the essential abstract elements of a landscape, and most importantly, I am most impressed by Emily Kngwarreye’s innate mastery of colour, structure and connection to Country.

Interpretation and expression

I am often told my interpretation of natural phenomena is unique, quite surprising and somewhat unpredictable. My paintings not only encapsulate the essential elements, colours and features of a particular place, but also recreate the ambience and the ‘feel’ of being there.

I tend to create playful, decorative and inspiring images, which are both optimistic and spiritually uplifting. Typically, my work is highly original, exuberant, vibrant, confident and eye-catching. Most of my creations are richly textured, overflow with dazzling colour and charged with positive energy. Other pieces are introspective, soft and meditative.

I believe my artworks are not only collectable but also provide long term enjoyment and relaxation as a counterbalance to the stresses of everyday life.

Exhibitions and collections

I had more than 26 solo shows since 1999 and have participated in countless group shows in commercial galleries and other venues. I am an exhibiting member of Mosman, Ku-ring-gai and North Shore Art Societies and also of The Sculptors Society.

My artworks are sold in a number of commercial galleries in Sydney, they are highly sought after by art lovers, interior designers and architects.

Apart from Australia, my works can be found in public and private collections all around the world, including the USA, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Great Britain and many other European countries.


Duncan Chang

No comments:

Post a Comment